Purchasing as an offset smoker can be a tough decision to make. If you opt for the low-priced options they can turn out to be undependable and leaky! However, the expensive options will burn a hole in your pocket, setting you back thousands of dollars.
The key to discovering the best offset smoker for beginners is finding one that fits our budget and level of experience. Although, there should be no compromise on quality as working with these devices can be a little risky.
5 Best Offset Smokers for Beginners
1- Oklahoma Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Smoker
An extremely versatile option for an offset smoker, the Highland comes with a firebox grill that doubles as a grip or warming rack. Furthermore, the overall look of the Highland is traditional. Oklahoma Joe’s has paid special attention to making the product practical for the user with a large button shelf and huge wagon-style wheels to make it easy to move.
For a large portion of people, spending $1500 – $3000 on an offset smoker is not a feasible choice. Oklahoma has rescued its customers from the ordeal, by offering them the ideal balance between cost and quality with their Joe’s Highland Reverse Flow Smoker. The $1000 item, has been equipped with grill gates that are coated with porcelain and it is definitely one of the best offset smokers for beginners.
- Black in Color which gives it a professional look
- Outer Material is Stainless Steel making it resistant to corrosion
- Quite heavy with a weight of 180.78 pounds
- Inner Material is stainless steel giving it an aesthetic appearance
- Fuel Type is Charcoal so it produces less smoke
- Equipped with four baffles for an even cook
2- Char-Griller Smokin’ Champ Charcoal Offset Smoker
If you are one of those smokers who can overlook having the best in the market, and opt for a traditional style smoker that is affordable, then this piece is for you. That smoker also serves as an ideal charcoal grill as it is available combined with a movable charcoal tray to control the heat level.
Manufacturers of the Char-Griller Smokin’ Champ Charcoal Offset Smoker have certainly not designed this item for pros. In the race to find the best offset smoker for beginners, the Char-Griller wins, due to its affordability. This fine piece of equipment is perfect for beginners looking to practice their cooking skills on the smoker. If you do not mind working with a few modifications, you can use the BBQ silicone to seal the inside of the grill to enhance the temperature distribution.
- Needs no prep time as the source of power is charcoal
- Visually appealing due to the black color
- Material of the outer layer is Steel giving it strength
- Relatively light for an offset smoker with a weight of 120 pounds
The company could have made the material thicker and the overall construction could be improved as well.
3- Char-Broil Oklahoma Joe’s Charcoal LP Gas Smoker Combo
You get the authentic smoking experience with the Char-Broil Oklahoma Joe’s Charcoal LP Gas Smoker Combo. Owing to its high-functional and dependable combo grill, that product is a must-have for serious meat smokers. Its commodious fire access, numerous dampers, and three professional temperature gauges mean the user has all the power to deliver delicious and juicy results.
For a cook who does not want to hoard their backyard with multiple grills, this combination offset smoker is the ideal option for them. With its ability to function both as a charcoal or gas grill, the added small side burner in the Oklahoma Joe’s Longhorn Black Triple-Function Combo Grill is a definite prize.
- Propane is used as fuel which burns safely and is clean
- Color is an appealing black
- Outer Material is Steel and Iron giving it durability
- Item is on the heavier end with a weight of 204.6 pounds
- Inner Material is Stainless Steel making it easy to clean
- Fuel Type is Charcoal, Liquefied Petroleum Gas thus producing less smoke
- Side burner is an additional luxury for charring vegetables
4- Dyna-Glo Signature Series Heavy-Duty Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker and Grill
Equipped with a smoking chamber on one side for placing charcoal and wood and a larger cooking chamber where food is placed, Dyna Glo has created an innovative design for people who want to smoke meat in their backyards. Furthermore, it is able to hold the temperature quite well and there is minimal air leakage owing to the seal on the door and thick constriction.
A supreme choice for a cook with a small backyard, the Dyna-Glo Signature Series Heavy-Duty Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker & Grill is a large tower fitted with 5 cooking grates. Even though the vertical offset smoker works similarly to a traditional one, it takes up much less space.
- Outer Material is made with Stainless Steel so it is simple to clean
- The color is an attractive coat of black powder
- Inner Material is Stainless Steel thus it does not easily corrode.
- Fuel Type is Charcoal which gives a distinctive smokey barbecue flavor
5- Masterbuilt Analog Electric Smoker
An excellent version of electric offset smokers, the Masterbuilt MES 35B comes equipped with a simple analog design. You just have to plug it into an outlet, turn the dial, and set the needed temperature. The gauge can be adjusted until you have hit your sweet spot. This equipment provides a lot of space for experimentation and learning.
A cheap and effective option for offset smokers in the market, the Masterbuilt Analog Electric Smoker is a viable choice for smart cooks. It has a large enough capacity to support large sizes of mear without going overboard.
- Quite large with a size of 30 inches
- Substantial space for cooking with 3 Smoking Racks
- Source of Power Required is Corded Electric which is easily accessible
- Colour is professional black
- Fuel Type is Electric so cheaper to use
- A convenient temperature dial and regulator make cooking significantly easier.
For beginners the requirements of an offset smoker are generic and simple. Amongst the best offset smokers for beginners, we recommend, the Dyna-Glo Signature Series Heavy-Duty Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker and Grill.
Even if you are new to the cooking game that does not mean you are not in it for the long run. The Dyna-Glo Signature Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker takes the prize as it is a dignitary of serious consideration with its amazing quality, the convenience of use, and extraordinary results. Also, you get this package at a reasonably priced rate.
There are a few considerations for an individual to keep in mind when they start their journey with an offset smoker, these include:
Cooking only with Charcoal and Wood
Preheating the Cooker prior to adding the Meat
Using a digital thermometer for both ends
Making sure the lid is closed for as long as possible
Rotating the Meat
Learn one vent at a time
Be cautious with the Smoke
Look out for the Weather
The most significant discerning feature between the offset and reverse flow smoker is the capability of the latter to sustain a constant and consistent temperature within the chamber for cooking.
Generally, the most accepted size for offset smokers is 20 inches, which is quite versatile. This size is perfect for competitions and smaller catering events.
Built with a thin metal, the cheaper version of offset smokers is unable to retain heat appropriately. Low-cost versions of the offset smoker made with thinner steel cannot hold the heat as well as those of a higher standard.